17-meter skeleton of Diplodocus sold at auction for 652,000 dollars




Dinosaur skeleton set for auction

Giant dinosaur skeleton age 160 million years was sold at auction in the English countryside of West Sussex County Billingskherst for 400,000 pounds (652,000 dollars). Diplodocus skeleton of a female, who earned the nickname Misty, was found in the United States, assembled in the Netherlands and is on sale in the UK. He is one of six relatively complete skeletons of Diplodocus in the world and, according to experts, it is worth 400-600 thousand pounds.

According to the British newspaper The Independent, 17-meter-long dinosaur skeleton found the sons of the famous German palaeontologist Raimund Albersdorfera during excavations in 2009. That children do not interfere with work, he sent them to the neighboring area and offered to look for dinosaur bones. Albersdorfer could not imagine that they will please his father a rare find.

When the children told him they found a huge bone, major excavations immediately stopped. The next nine weeks paleontologists dug all that remains of the giant creatures.

enormous Diplodocus longus skeleton

This is a very rare specimen. Not finding a need to try to get him out of the land that is not so simple. Very difficult to disconnect ingrown stone bones of the skeleton. A bone fragility does not allow to use a sledgehammer – says the curator of the auction Evolution Sale Errol Fuller.

After excavation in Wyoming remains Diplodocus were sent to Rotterdam “dinozavrostroitelyu” Aart Valen to build a skeleton on a special metal frame. Fortunately for Albersdorfera, discovery was made in a private ownership, allowing paleontologists freely get it out of the United States.

Misty skeleton consists of 100 bones, its safety is 40 percent. The remaining 60 percent were restored to the previously found samples.


In the world there are six skeletons of Diplodocus. Some of them are in museums in Pittsburgh and Washington – says Fuller.

Diplodocus is one of the largest and most studied dinosaurs that lived on Earth.
Back Can I make a second Earth from Mars?
Next Smartphone from Geeksphone works simultaneously on Android and Firefox OS
Tags: Auction , Dinosaurs , Paleontology .

Tags: , ,

In: Technology & Gadgets Asked By: [18439 Red Star Level]

Answer this Question

You must be Logged In to post an Answer.

Not a member yet? Sign Up Now »

Star Points Scale

Earn points for Asking and Answering Questions!

Grey Sta Levelr [1 - 25 Grey Star Level]
Green Star Level [26 - 50 Green Star Level]
Blue Star Level [51 - 500 Blue Star Level]
Orange Star Level [501 - 5000 Orange Star Level]
Red Star Level [5001 - 25000 Red Star Level]
Black Star Level [25001+ Black Star Level]