Find a Question:
How to protect yourself from fraud when buying the iPhone and iPad via the Internet
Due to the sharp rise in price of the iPhone and iPad «gray” market in Russia is alive again. On the trading floors on the Internet pestreyut hundreds of ads “new, fully packaged, never used” iGadzhetov. Buying a “gray” device really can be a good idea to save money. At the same time, the chances of running into a swindler is several times higher.
Tricks fraudsters are universal and can be applied when dealing with any gadgets. Edition of AIN learn about the most common scams and offered advice on how to best protect themselves by buying products online from another user.
1. Check the data seller on the internet. Enter a search engine phone number, e-mail, bank details and other information about the seller. It has probably sold any goods – so you can find reviews or compromising information. Especially carefully read the neutral and negative feedback, look for information on how easy is it to contact the seller, if the quality of its products, there are no problems with delivery.
2. Communicate with the seller better by e-mail, not by telephone. In case of conflict, the correspondence may be evidence. Keep all receipts confirming payment. At the request of the counterparty, and even law enforcement agencies only provide a copy of the receipt. “We also recommend Traders store any evidence of interaction with the buyer Seller: E-mail, SMS-messages, call history,” – said the head of support services OLX.
3. To perform better deal in the city in person. The buyer in this case will be able to verify the authenticity of the goods (in appearance, functionality, etc.). Seller is able to receive the payment on the spot.
4. Do not rush to pay in advance, if you offer to do the translation for the gadget or service only through the various payment systems. Identify the payee in such a case would be much more difficult – especially if the counterparty is in another country.
5. When sending ask seller to insure the package for the full value. If you’ve got a product that does not conform to the description, constitutes an act signed by an employee of the shipping service.
6. Under no circumstances should the counterparty to submit a copy of the passport or tax ID number. Never give personal information to third parties:
passwords that come to your phone;
Do not open suspicious links in emails from contractors.
Can not only deceive the buyer, and the seller. It seems to be common knowledge: in any case, no one can disclose personal information (eg, date of birth), the codes on the map, confirming SMS-codes. But scammers posing as representatives of the bank on the phone, get this information from cardholders.
The scheme is: that a bank representative calling card holder and said that means the card can not be credited for some reason. To solve the problem, are asked to provide personal information or perform certain actions at an ATM or to confirm codes payment systems. Trusting people fall for the bait and, instead, to get the money they lose.
7. If you find an iPhone or iPad on too “attractive” price, check the real value of the model in the network or in the stores, as well as price comparison sites. Ultra-low price – the first sign of deception. Scammers often use such explanations price as “confiscated from customs”, “sale due to relocation”, “need money”, “sale in connection with the closing”, “residues from the warehouse”, “discontinued”, etc. etc.
8. If the product is in another city, it is best to take advantage of shipping with the possibility of COD. The buyer will have to overpay a little (if the recipient pays for shipping), but he’ll be able to look at the goods before pay money for it.
9. Examine the data on this product. If it appears that a product photo – not really, but, for example, taken from the manufacturer’s website, ask the seller to take a picture of what he sells. Check the packaging of goods (particularly for devices).
10. When buying equipment ask the seller a serial number before shipping. Upon receipt, check it out and if it does not match, make the act with the staff of the shipping service. When buying a phone request IMEI.
Last autumn, the online buyers in Russia were victims of fraud . Thousands of customers online store SAS (Sales American Store), offering the iPhone 6 at a low price, are left with nothing. October 27 service site was closed, and representatives of the company stopped communicating with customers. According to various estimates, hiding owners online store to get thousands of pre-orders for “six”, earn up to $ 100 million.
20 of the most popular ways of deception when buying iPhone
Join us at Twitter , VKontakte , Facebook , Google+ or via RSS , to keep abreast of the latest news from the world of Apple, Microsoft and Google.
Answer this Question
You must be Logged In to post an Answer.
Not a member yet? Sign Up Now »
Star Points Scale
Earn points for Asking and Answering Questions!